5th Highland Light Infantry, 17th April 1917
The following is an extract from the Banffshire Herald dated the 5th May 1917 – Sergeant William Paterson, Highland Light Infantry, killed, was a son of Mr William Paterson, Tailor, Buckie.
William Paterson enlisted at Glasgow, into the Highland Light Infantry, serving in the 5th Battalion, his initial number was 1955 and he retained this number up to the rank of Corporal where his number was updated to 200410. He was later to achieve the rank of Acting/Serjeant. He initially served in the Balkans (2b) commencing 2 July 1915.
He was later killed in action and his place of death was shown as Egypt aged 26 years, and was buried at the Gaza War Cemetery, Palestine.
Serjeant William Paterson was born about 1891.
His family was shown as:-
- Father – William Paterson – Tailor
- Mother – Margaret Paterson
Following his death, the address of his mother was shown as 11, Mill Crescent, Buckie, Banffshire.
He is remembered on the Buckie – Parish of Rathven War Memorial, Buckie, Banffshire.
Links to Additional Information
- A Street Near You – William Paterson
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission – William Paterson
- Find a Grave – William Paterson
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Medal Index Card
- Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919
- Medal Roll – Highland Light Infantry – British War and Victory Medals
- Banffshire Herald dated 5th May 1917
- Pension Ledger
- Vincent Stuart